Labor DoulaA doula is like a labor coach for hire who actually knows what she is doing!
How we work
The professional relationship usually goes like this:
- Deb meets for an interview with you at your convenience. We meet together 1 or 2 times prenatally to discuss the birth and your plans and preferences, as well as expanding your knowledge about birth and developing additional skills.
- We communicate by phone, email or text as the birth approaches. All questions, concerns and updates are encouraged.
- A back up doula is selected. If you have interviewed or know other doulas and would like to choose one of those women as the back up, that is fine. Otherwise, Deb has some experienced doulas she often works with as back ups. The couple has final say over the choice of back up. References are available on request.
- When the mom thinks she is in labor, she calls Deb and touches base. They continue to communicate during early labor. Deb joins the couple when the labor becomes more intense and stays with them until the baby is born, has nursed and mom is settled in her postpartum location. Deb keeps notes throughout the birth and writes up her observations for the family.
- The couple schedules a postpartum visit and we evaluate nursing and talk about the birth and the birth story.
- Most couples are able to manage the early parts of labor on their own with a little phone support. Deb usually joins the couple about the time the labor is getting more intense. That may happen either at home or at the hospital.
Please give Deb a call today 630-202-3641. You may also text your email address and basic contact information to request a doula packet.